Well I know what I’m making to give to neighbors this holiday season! It’s a huge tradition with my family for us to do a baked-goods trade with people in the neighborhood and the go-to in my house is zucchini and/or banana bread. However, I wanted to try something a bit different and since I was able to snag a few extra apples for very cheap, and we happened to have a very ripe banana sitting around, I went for an apple-cinnamon twist on the classic!
Apple Cinnamon Banana Bread
Prep time: 10 minutes Bake time: 30 minutes Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 3 small bread loaves
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup arrowroot starch (AKA arrowroot flour)
2 tbsp coconut flour
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup grade B maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 large, very ripe banana, mashed
1 medium apple, cored and cubed
1 tsp cinnamon, plus more for garnish
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC)
2. Spray or coat 3 small bread pans with baking spray or oil of choice.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together all dry ingredients (almond flour, arrowroot starch, coconut flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda) until well-blended.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients (coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and eggs) until egg yolks are well-separated and integrated.
5. Add wet ingredient mix to dry ingredient mixing bowl and stir well until it is smooth.
6. Add mashed banana and fold in as evenly as possible throughout the batter.
7. Fold in 3/4 of the apple chunks, distributing evenly.
8. Separate the batter equally among the 3 bread pans.
9. Drop the remaining 1/4 of the apple pieces along the top of the batter. Sprinkle tops of apples and batter with the 1 tbsp of coconut sugar, then add any extra cinnamon as desired.
10. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until bread is slightly brown on the outside and a toothpick comes out clean when stuck in the middle. Share among loved ones and enjoy! 🙂