Growing up, my Yankee mom never really prepared hash browns the way most of my Texan friends knew them. When we had them at my house, they were made in the oven and without all the extra breading. Little did she know that years down the road, this would be a great addition to my Paleo lifestyle as well!
Baked Hash Browns
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 25-30 minutes Total time: 40-45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 lb potatoes of choice (I used a variety of fingerling in these photos, though any kind will do)
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more to grease the pan
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried italian herbs mix, like McCormick’s blend
Extra garlic salt, to taste
Any fresh herbs you would like to add (I have rosemary and oregano in my garden, so I usually put some of those in)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC)
2. Scrub the potatoes, but leave the skin on them. Slice and quarter them once dry.
3. Mix olive oil with spices, until well-blended.
4. Toss potato pieces in olive oil mixture until well-coated on all sides.
5. Grease a baking sheet with extra olive oil, then spread the potatoes out evenly across the sheet.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, mix the potatoes around, and then bake for another 10-15 minutes.
7. Potatoes should be cooked all the way through, but not soggy. If they appear done sooner than this recipe calls for, take them out and serve.