What better way to post my first breakfast recipe than with PANCAKES, am I right? Better yet, how about nut butter, banana, and chocolate mixed in?! These babies are killer and so filling. Just make sure not to eat the batter before getting it onto the pan! 😉
Chunky Monkey Protein Pancakes
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4, 5-inch diameter pancakes
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 scoop (33g) of egg white protein powder (I use Jay Robb Protein)
3 pastured eggs
1/2 cup almond milk (or other milk of choice)
1 tbsp cashew butter (or other nut butter of choice)
1 tbsp local honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 tsp sea salt
1/3 tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
1 banana, sliced
1. Mix all dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) together in a large mixing bowl.
2. Fold in wet ingredients (except banana), making sure everything is well-distributed. If you’re used to “traditional” pancake batter, this will be thicker than what you’d expect.
3. Fold in chocolate chips.
4. Dollop the batter onto a greased pan on the stove over medium heat. Spread the batter a bit with your spoon to be the size you want the pancake to be.
5. While the first side of the pancake is cooking, add a few banana slices to the top of the batter and press them into it slightly, so that when you flip the pancake they don’t fall off.
6. When the pancake begins bubbling at the top, or you find it easy to slide a spatula underneath, it is time to flip. Coconut flour likes to brown very quickly, so keep an eye on each pancake so you don’t burn them!
7. Cook the rest of the batter in this manner, adding banana slices before flipping each pancake the first time. After the first pancake, the others will cook very quickly.
8. Once the batter is all used up, top with whatever your heart desires and enjoy! This stack has a little more cashew butter and a few more chocolate chips on top, with the rest of the banana as well. I also like to add some organic maple syrup, because clearly there aren’t enough sweet things on there already 😛