I know there are a lot of burger bun replacement recipes out there, but I’ve never seen or had something like this before and I wanted to give it a shot. I have a fresh batch of Spicy Cranberry Salsa, which is just the perfect condiment to go on this unique burger! If you’re looking for something other than mushrooms or lettuce to wrap your patty in, this is definitely a new, exciting way to enjoy an American classic.
Spicy Apple Burgers
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
1.5 lb grass-fed ground beef
2 tbsp clarified butter
1 tbsp fajita seasoning
3 Large apples of choice, sliced from top to bottom (save extra pieces for a side dish)
6 pieces bacon
Collard greens or other greens for topping, as much as desired
1 batch Spicy Cranberry Salsa, as much as desired
1. Mix fajita seasoning into ground beef well. Form beef into 6 patties.
2. Heat butter on stove over medium heat until melted. Add patties, as many as will fit onto pan with the ability to flip, and cook them to wellness of your liking. They will cook very fast over the stove and the butter likes to splash a lot, so be careful.
3. Once meat is cooked, slice apples from top to bottom to make biggest “buns” possible for the meat. Sauté the apple “buns” in the leftover butter and beef grease, for about a minute. Flip them halfway through to coat both sides with the oils.
4. Remove apple pieces and allow to cool, and cook bacon in the same skillet. This will also cook fairly quickly since everything is already warm.
5. Once bacon is done, stack up the burgers the way you choose with the collards and any other toppings. Make sure to include some Spicy Cranberry Salsa – it adds the perfect zing to this burger!