This is an extremely easy dessert recipe that can be presented to look fancy… so it’s got the best of both worlds! With only a few ingredients, you can whip this up and let it chill in the fridge until it’s time to be served. Plus, the natural sweetness of the coconut makes added sugar less necessary.
Toasted Coconut & Pomegranate Pudding
Prep time: 10 minutes Cool time: 4 hours Total time: 4 hours, 10 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
1 can (14.5 oz) full-fat coconut milk
2 tbsp coconut butter
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2-4 tbsp honey (adjust to taste)
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, plus more for garnish
1. Heat coconut butter in a pot on the stove. Be careful – it will heat quickly and begin to burn, if not watched closely.
2. As soon as coconut butter begins to turn brown, make sure to stir it and add coconut milk. The slightly-browned coconut butter is what gives the “toasted” taste to this recipe.
3. Once coconut milk and butter are well-mixed, add in vanilla and honey. Stir every once in a while and keep over the heat until the mixture begins to get bubbles rising to the top.
4. When bubbles begin appearing, slowly stir in gelatin. You’ll have to sprinkle and stir a bit at a time because the gelatin can clump together if there is too much put in at once.
5. After gelatin is completely mixed in, turn off the heat and add pomegranate seeds. They will sink to the bottom.
6. Pour pudding into whatever dishes you want to serve it in. The pomegranates will still stay on the bottom there as well. Place in a refrigerator to cool and harden.
7. After 3-4 hours, the mixture should have finished solidifying. If desired, add more pomegranate seeds on top and serve.