I love game meat. I love veggies. I love bone broth. Here are a few of my favorite things all wrapped into one savory recipe that is perfect for you Whole 30-ers and the cold weather!
Dove and Veggies in Bone Broth Sauce
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Total time: 30 mintues
Yield: 2 servings
10-14 doves, breasts filleted (about 20-28 pieces of meat)
2 stalks celery, diced
2 large carrots, sliced
1/4 white onion, sliced & quartered
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup bone broth
1 cup sweet potato gnocchi, or 1 cup chopped sweet potato (chopped sweet potato will take a bit longer to cook than the gnocchi)
2 tbsp clarified butter
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp potato starch
2 tbsp fresh parsley
Black pepper, salt and garlic powder, to taste
1. Melt butter in a deep skillet on the stove over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic for about two minutes, until garlic begins to brown.
2. Add dove breasts to pan, being careful to flip them quickly. Dove cooks VERY fast and can be tough if cooked too long. As soon as both sides are browned, add 1/2 cup of the bone broth. It is okay if the dove is still red in the middle at this point; it will cook the rest of the way through as it sits.
3. Bring broth to a boil and add celery, carrots, and bell pepper. If using sweet potato rather than gnocchi, add that at this time too. Continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes, allowing veggies to soften. Add pepper, salt and garlic powder as well.
4. Mix contents of pan well. Add the rest of the bone broth and gnocchi. Mix in parsley.
5. After another minute or so, slowly integrate the potato starch, one tablespoon at a time. This will thicken the broth to a more sauce-like consistency. Add any other spices to your taste, then serve.