I had you at “bacon.”
Bacon & Dove Casserole
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 2-3 servings
1 lb dove breast filets
1/4 lb bacon
1/2 small sweet onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 tbsp clarified butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1 tsp fresh oregano
1 bay leaf
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Cook bacon in a deep skillet. While it is cooking, prepare the veggies as indicated above.
2. Remove bacon from skillet once it is cooked to your liking. Place it aside for now but leave the grease in the pan. Add garlic and onions to the grease and sauté for a minute.
3. When onions are translucent, add dove breasts. They will cook very quickly, so stir often. They should not need more than two minutes on the heat.
4. After doves are browned, remove them from the skillet as well. Leave the grease and onions in there, though. Add the rest of the veggies and sauté for a minute or two, until they begin to soften.
5. Pour in vegetable broth. It will heat quickly. Swirl the butter in along with it as soon as the broth begins to bubble.
6. After butter is mixed in, add the rosemary, oregano, and bay leaf and allow everything to cook together on the stove for about 2 minutes.
7. Place dove breasts in the bottom of your casserole pan, spreading them evenly. Place bacon on top of the dove. Pour the vegetables on top of the meat, grease and all. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the veggies begin to wrinkle a bit on the top. Remove when this has happened and enjoy! This goes great with some Baked Hash Browns, if you’re extra hungry.